Documena develops in different stages. In its present form, Documena’s activity unfolds predominantly online, where our team examines, comments and generally responds to what we perceive as a problematic turn in political and cultural affairs in Greece and Europe. Documena’s team consists of a core of apparent and secret members that currently monitor Documenta 14, intervene as well as infiltrate Documenta’s team.
In the following period, the team will curate and stage two events, one in Athens [April 2017] and one in Berlin [August 2017]. We will host installations, performances, workshops, lectures, screenings and other manifestations of work dealing with topics that are close to the team’s interests.
The first event will focus primarily on the critique of the exoticisation of the periphery and the Greek Documenta context. The second one will extend its analysis to super-national and international matters, beyond Documenta itself. Finally, there will be a publication of a series of texts and essays on relevant issues, which will be complementary to the two events.
We are interested in offering a platform in order to highlight work that deals with similar matters. We invite international participations to the events and/or the publication that revolve around the following key thematics:
* populisms (right and left wing) *
* naturalisation of the ‘indigenous' *
* essentialisations of dualistic perceptions of north and south *
* totalitarian aesthetics *
* the glorious return of neoclassicism and neofolk *
* radical communitarianism and practices of "commoning" *
* the avant-garde and radical art in the 21st century *
* islamophobia and the oriental threat *
* the re-birth of ancient-greek democracy *
* the persistence of antisemetism, again *
* affective politics in the post-indignados era *
* naturism, spirituality and new age *
* anti-humanism vs thermal blankets *
* phillelenism and anthellenism *
* over-identification and subversive affirmation *
Proposals for artworks/essays should be no longer than 500 words and accompanied by examples of previous work - please include a short bio.
Deadline: May 15th 2017
Extended Deadline: July 5th 2017
Documena will dismantle, dissolve and self-destroy in October 2017.